Your Rights as Our Patient
As a patient of Clark Memorial Health, you have a right:
- To receive considerate and respectful care
- To refuse care, treatment, and services
- To know the names of the doctors caring for you
- To know the nature of your condition and treatment
- To engage in effective communication in your preferred language
- To make decisions about your care and to appoint someone to make decisions when you cannot
- To receive care in a safe setting
- To control who does or does not visit you
- To make a grievance regarding any aspect of your care
- To receive equal treatment regardless of sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, educational background, economic status, or source of payment.
If you are dissatisfied with your care, please inform someone as soon as possible in the care setting so that we can address the problem you’ve encountered. You also have the option, at the time of care or afterwards, to make a grievance.
You may make your grievance by calling 812.285.5993 or by writing to the following address:
Quality Resources Department
Clark Memorial Health
1220 Missouri Avenue
Jeffersonville, IN 47130
Laws and Other Protections
The United States federal government has enacted extensive legislation to create and protect your rights as a patient.
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act provides broad protection from discrimination. Several laws protect you against discrimination based on:
- Race, color, or national origin
- Sexual orientation, or gender identity/expression.
Your civil rights as a patient will be respected and you will be provided with emergency medical treatment regardless of your ability to pay.
For more information on your rights, please visit the fact sheets on the The Department of Health & Human Services website.
If you believe you have been discriminated against, you may file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights of the Department of Health & Human Services.
The Department of Health & Human Services has extensive information about HIPAA and the ways in which your health information is protected. Be sure to check out the helpful ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ link.
There is also a process for filing a complaint if you believe your privacy rights have been violated.
The Joint Commission
Clark Memorial Health is proud to be accredited by The Joint Commission. If you wish to make a complaint with The Joint Commission, you may do so online, by fax, or by mail.
The Indiana State Department of Health
Clark Memorial Health is licensed by the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH). If you wish to make a complaint to ISDH, you may do so by email, fax, telephone, or mail. The telephone number is 1.800.246.8909.
As our patient, you have the following responsibilities:
- To provide accurate and complete information that facilitates your care including medical complaints, past illnesses and surgeries, hospitalizations, medications, pain, and other matters relating to your health.
- To ask questions when you don’t understand.
- To follow instructions, policies, rules, and regulations in place to support quality care for patients and a safe environment for all individuals in the hospital.
- To maintain civil language and conduct interactions with the staff and caregivers while also being considerate of the rights of other patients.
- To ensure that your financial obligations for your healthcare are fulfilled by paying bills promptly.
At Clark Memorial Health, we do all we can to earn the privilege we enjoy of caring for you. Mutual commitment to rights and responsibilities will ensure the greatest quality of care and greatest comfort for you and all our patients.
- About Us
- Classes & Events
- Find a Doctor
- Living Will Declaration
- Make a Payment
- Make an Appointment
- Mission, Vision and High Five
- Non-Discrimination Notice
- Our Services
- Patient Handbook
- Patient Rights
- Quality & Cost Information
- Release of Information
- Send a Gift
- Send a WOW E-Card
- View Hospital Bill
- 2018 Mercy Award Winner