Labor and delivery at
The Family Birth Place
When you’re expecting, you want the best care available for yourself and your baby. That’s why Clark Memorial Health’s Family Birth Place is here. We work with several OB/GYN practices in Jeffersonville, Clarksville and other areas of Clark County and Southern Indiana.
To meet the needs of expectant mothers and their babies during and after childbirth, we offer:
- Seven labor and delivery suites
- Four triage rooms
- Hydrotherapy tubs, which can help increase comfort and reduce pain during labor
- A clear drape for C-sections, offering moms the opportunity to observe the birth
- Post-delivery mother/baby facilities
- Nursery facilities
- Breastfeeding classes and support services
- The first Level II neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) in Southern Indiana, equipped to care for infants delivered as early as 32 weeks gestation
- Collaboration with neonatologists from Norton Children’s Hospital for babies who need specialized care
For more information: Clark Memorial Hospital to open first Level II neonatal care unit in Southern Indiana
Free classes to help you prepare
To help you and your family welcome your new arrival with confidence, we offer several classes for expectant moms, dads and older siblings. Most classes are free. All classes require registration. 2019 Family Birth Place Childbirth Class Schedule
A personal touch for your birth plan
The Family Birth Place works closely with you and your doctor to develop a personalized birth plan. The birth plan serves as the guide for your ideal labor and delivery process and includes instructions for:
- Your birth environment – We think it’s important to honor your preferences for lighting, sounds and other comforts.
- Doula involvement – We work very well with the doulas in the community and welcome their support and expertise.
- Pain management – We offer nitrous oxide as an alternative pain relief option for women in labor. This non-invasive, evidence based option provides much needed pain relief.
- Kangaroo care – We’re committed to promoting maternal/infant bonding through practices like early skin-to-skin care. For vaginal deliveries, we aid moms in placing the infant in kangaroo care immediately after delivery. For cesarean sections, we have a dedicated team of nurses in the operating room who help place the baby in kangaroo care as quickly and safely as possible.
For more information: Birth Plan Questionnaire (PDF)
An intimate and personal birth experience
Clark Memorial Health is fortunate to have an exceptional team of midwives from WomanCare. The nurse-midwife works with you before, during and after labor to support you and help you achieve your desired birth experience. During labor, the midwife is able deliver the baby and involves a partnering physician should additional assistance be required.
Breastfeeding support services
Our Breastfeeding Center offers classes, lactation consultation, breastfeeding supplies, and other support services. We’re incredibly compassionate about helping moms start and continue breastfeeding successfully or feed formula safely.
In addition, Clark Memorial Health is a designated Milk Depot and receives donated breastmilk from carefully screened donors. Upon receipt of the breast milk, the Lactation Consultants package and send the milk to The Milk Bank in Indianapolis. The Milk Bank pasteurizes, freezes and distributes breast milk throughout the United States.
Opioid treatment plan for expectant mothers
We’re so committed to healthy moms and babies that we offer opioid treatment services specifically for pregnant women. Treatment services like this can be hard to find, but they’re incredibly important to the health of our community. Our treatment plan offers knowledgeable, supportive staff who are skilled in caring for pregnant mothers with addiction, as well as their babies.
Hello, healthy delivery.
To schedule a tour, call (812) 283-2122
- Find a Provider
- Behavioral Health
- Cancer Care
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Diabetes Education
- Endoscopy Suite
- Family Birth Place
- Healthy Screenings
- Heart Center
- Lactation Consultation
- Outpatient Imaging Center
- Providers - Primary Care
- Providers – Specialists
- Sleep Center
- Smoking Cessation
- Thoracic & Vascular Care
- Urgent Care
- Vein Center
- Women’s Services
- Wound Care