Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBO)?
Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy enhances the body’s natural healing and strengthens the immune system
During HBO therapy, you breathe 100% pure oxygen while inside a clear, pressurized chamber. The air pressure inside a hyperbaric oxygen chamber is about two and a half times greater than the normal pressure in the atmosphere. This “hyperbaric” (or high pressure) dose of oxygen helps your blood carry more oxygen to organs and connective tissues to promote wound healing. It also activates the white blood cells to fight infection.
HBO therapy is an outpatient procedure that is provided once daily, for approximately four to six weeks. One treatment takes around two hours and is quite comfortable for most patients.
HBO is normally used in combination with other treatments. HBO is a particularly effective treatment for healing…
- Diabetic wounds that are slow-to-heal or are not healing
- Skin damage or open sores caused by radiation treatment, possibly even from many years ago, now causing the skin and tissue to “breakdown”
- Skin grafts or surgical flaps that are not healing post-surgery
- Internal ‘injury’ where no open wound exists, such as a bone infection (osteomyelitis)
- Crush injuries from an industrial, heavy machinery or car accident
- Damage to internal tissue or bone that causes pain or discomfort as a result from radiation therapy
If you have a wound or an open sore that hasn’t begun to heal in a month, or one that hasn’t healed entirely in two months, ask your doctor about the Clark Memorial Health Wound Healing Center or give us a call at (812) 283-2850.