Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) therapy delivers high doses of oxygen to enhance the body’s natural healing and strengthen the immune system. HBO is normally used with other treatments for wounds that aren't healing and haven't responded to other treatments. It's helps heal:
- Diabetic wounds that are slow-to-heal or are not healing
- Skin damage or open sores caused by radiation treatment
- Skin grafts or surgical flaps not healing after surgery
- Internal injuries, such as bone infection (osteomyelitis)
- Crush injuries from industrial, heavy machinery or car accident
- Damage to internal tissue or bone due to radiation therapy that causes pain or discomfort
Call 812.283.2850 to schedule an appointment with a wound care specialist.
Safe, proven treatment helps wounds heal
The body needs oxygen to heal. During HBO therapy, you breathe 100% pure oxygen while inside a clear, pressurized treatment room (hyperbaric chamber). The air pressure inside is about two and a half times greater than the normal pressure in the atmosphere. This “hyperbaric” (or high pressure) dose of oxygen helps your blood carry more oxygen to organs and connective tissues to promote wound healing. It also activates the white blood cells to fight infection.
HBO therapy is an outpatient procedure provided once a day, for approximately four to six weeks. One treatment takes about two hours and is quite comfortable for most patients.